Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Medicine

Our family has been very blessed in that no one takes any medicine of any kind. We are very thankful for this. Well, as of today, one of the furry members of our family is going to need some medicine. Shelby, our 15 year old Domestic Short Hair cat, has been losing weight over the past year. It's been gradual but you see, she was never a very big cat to begin with. People would often comment with things like, "How old is your kitten?" I think at her biggest she was around 8 pounds. I decided to take her to the vet to see what was up with her. I thought maybe her teeth were bad and she couldn't eat dry cat food very well anymore. I have found this amazing vet, Dr. B. and boy, do I love this guy. He's a grandpa and has been taking care of furry animals for a lot of years. He took one look at my girl and said, "I think it's her thyroid." He checked her teeth and gums which looked good. He did comment that several of her teeth have fallen out. Her heart was beating fast which is a sign of hyper-thyroidism and a sign that you're at the vet!

I got the call this morning that ALL of her blood work numbers came back great with the exception of the thyroid, just as suspected. I ran over to the vet's office today and have a small Rx bottle with "Shelby Maham" on it. We expect her to gain a little weight soon.

What a relief. My kitty ticks on!

No comments: