Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What a chore

I decided I'd like to have a small garden in the space between the street and the sidewalk up against our driveway. It is where the mailbox is. I went out there on Thursday and started digging up the sod/grass. OMG - that is so hard to do! I did about a 4 foot square patch and I was done. Dallas said he would be happy to help me on Sunday after church. So when we got home, we went right out there and started working. There was about 3 inches of topsoil/grass and then SOLID GRAVEL for over 10 inches down. It was unbelievable. We ended up clearing out 5 wheelbarrows FULL of gravel and rock in this very small spot. It's a wonder the grass could even grow there at all. We have a large compost bin in our backyard so thankfully we had a lot of dirt to fill in the gaping hole we created.







Are you wondering what someone does with 5 wheelbarrows full of gravel? We have an empty lot across the street that is still owned by the builder. We dumped them over there. Thank you said builder!
So the compost is in and the plants are planted and the mulch is laid. Sure hope it grows! It doesn't look like much now but hopefully in a year or two I'll have a nice garden here!

1 comment:

CRSmom said...

I think that it looks terrific! Hard work but it has paid off!

I'm so proud of you! Your garden looks awesome too! I wish that I could be there w/you to enjoy some of those great veggies!